Friday, February 25, 2011

24 February 2011

First Boat on Left at Causeway

From my vantage point up on the Granville Road, I cannot see how the boats at the causeway differ, only that they do.  I'd like to know their idiosyncratic shapes better so I know what it is I'd be approximating when I decide to make a painting of this scene. Yesterday my son-in-law lent me pair of binoculars and so I stopped on the way home to draw what I saw through them.  This turned out to be quite difficult!  

I had to pay very close attention to the relative positions of every part I wanted to draw, because I couldn't easily glance back up to check an angle or a relative position, nor wave my pencil about checking relative sizes, angle to vertical, and so on.  What I learnt is that if I talk to myself, then I can prompt myself verbally as I draw.  I saw things like, "The hoist is at about 1 o'clock," or "The mast is just to the left of the right end of the transom."  Or sometimes, it is, "Oh, the hull is made of two parts and the lower dark part has a different angle from the upper part, and then there is a third part near the bow."  I see slowly.

Until the tide is high late enough in the morning, I won't be able to draw this scene for a while, as the sun set while I was drawing today. 

2 comments:

Amy Mann said...

Nice boat drawing! ~sigh~ I miss seeing boats.

Em said...

Wow - very impressive; I am especially impressed by the way the water reflects light up onto the near (it's left) side of the boat.

Post a Comment