Tuesday, March 8, 2011

8 March 2011

House on Curve at Victoria Beach





         House at Curve, with thumbnail sketch                                            Thumbnail, enlarged
            (That pale curve in the water is a tide rip.)
 
Today I needed to get out and celebrate a sunny spring day.  Louise and  I drove down to Victoria Beach, where I saw this house.  I like houses on downhill curves as well as houses silhouetted against the sea; two for one here!  First I drew too small and so fitted in the whole 9 yards.  Next I tried to get the size I'd first aimed for, not so successfully.  Then I drew a thumbnail to remind myself what it was I'd been aiming for - probably should have begun here!          

Now the tide was high so I went to the causeway a drew another boat portrait:

Da Fighters Three out of Grand Manan
Drawn from down on the road itself, now that the snow is all gone there.

The home port of a boat is not necessarily what is written on her stern.  That indicates where she was registered, which might be where she was built rather than where she is now.  It is expensive to re-register a boat's home port, so the boat may move but not her home port label.

                       

2 comments:

Em said...

Wow - you were productive today! I especially like that first sketch. It would be a shame not to do it as a painting! You can amble on down from the left, but you end up trying to peek in that top story window that's almost but not quite cross-haired by the vertical pole and the horizon line that almost but not quite extends along the roof line... a very effective composition, although it's unusual and doesn't follow All of the rules (not quite)!

Amy Mann said...

Yes, I agree with Emily... I was going to say it looks like a Great painting spot! And since when do we care about the Rules? *sigh* wish I was there painting right now...

Post a Comment