Wednesday, May 18, 2011

18 May 2011

Wharf in Cove Beneath Cliffs, Big Waves On-shore

For about 10 - 15 years I've been interested in bowl-shaped landscapes and have three paintings of villages set in hilly bowls awaiting finishing in my finish-soon stack.  As I lay down to nap, it occurred to me that I could try my hand at bowl-shaped harbours at the feet of steep cliffs.  Sleepiness evaporated long enough to take up my sketchbook and draw.  This is the result, a compendium of memories of Delaps Cove on the Fundy Shore near here and Chocolate Cove, Deer Island, New Brunswick.  I think it needs colour to separate its parts better...tomorrow, maybe.

3 comments:

Amy Mann said...

Very cool and interesting! I like!

Amy Mann said...

I love the way the drawing continues upside-down on the left side. It really feels like you've drawn the whole, 360-degree environment, like you actually turn around to see the part behind you. Very David Hockneyesque.

Helen O said...

Actually, my feet (and eyes above them) are at the bottom of the page, and I am first looking to the left, then ahead (top of page) and then to the right. That is more or less how I drew it, although I went from bottom, left around to top, then from bottom right around to top. Then I added the various layers and things (cliff striations and trees clinging to it, wharf, and waves.

I'm sure Hockney influenced me!

Post a Comment