Tuesday, May 3, 2011

2 May 2011, Election Day

Waiting to vote.

Waiting to vote - and one young thing getting registered (far right)

 
6:40 and not as busy

Slack period ended.  (And yes, those legs under the table are disproportionately large!)
 
Yesterday I was the Information Officer at our local polling station, the same community hall where I go to draw the Granville Ferals.  My job was likened to that of a Walmart greeter when they asked me if I were willing to take it.  I greet people ("politely", as they instruct) and say something like, "If you show me your card, I can tell you where to go."  (There were two region's polling places in this one hall.)   This card looks important, but is only to tell you where the polling station for your area is.  Unfortunately, our hall's civic address was incorrect, so one poor pair of newcomers saw an awful lot of Granville Ferry first.  Also, elections Canada would direct one of two people at the same address to an entirely different poll, one that wasn't even here.  However, the District Officers had ways to get the wrongly-assigned ones into their proper place, here.  They want us to vote and are as accommodating as is legal; no petty power plays. 
My day began at 7:30 AM, helping to set up, and ended at 8:30 PM, when the polls closed.  It was fairly busy all day and being aware of people entering, asking for and checking their cards, and directing them to the proper line made it difficult to get much drawing done.  Also the people were constantly changing position and leaving.  It is far easier to draw chickens; they all look enough alike that you can start with one hen in a certain position and the next one to take that position can be used for finishing that pose.  Not so with people!  They change too much in size and shape from one to the next, and also I am interested in the space around and between them, as well as their posture or pose.

2 comments:

Amy Mann said...

That was a long day! You did some great sketches... I especially like the last one, and I don't think the legs are disproportionately large... Too bad the election didn't turn out in your favor!

Em said...

Yeah - I don't think they're disproportionately large either... and the first set (lady) has just the perfect amount of line to express her crossed legs.

Post a Comment