Tuesday, May 3, 2011

2 May 2011, outdoors

View from the doorway of G F Hall

Roofscape from G F Hall

In the afternoon, the sun came out and was far enough west that it shone on the front of the Hall.  I went out to the ramp to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine:  I could take cards and give out information just as easily there.  In fact, it was less confusing for them, since they hadn't seen the voting tables yet and had nothing to lure them past me.  So I got my sketchbook (and permission) and drew in between arrivals.  This was far easier to do with those frequent interruptions:  not one of the buildings moved perceptibly while I was drawing them.

The house with two chimneys and an ell, at the top of the stack, is the same one I drew and painted last Monday.  I was happy to recognize and old friend when I got to that one.

The notes down the side are places people who looked at what I was doing invited me to come paint from their yards.  I hope this whole week's gloomy forecast is as inaccurate as yesterday's and today's have been.  I just need to rest up from yesterday's 13-hour day - and I got out early, since I didn't have to count the ballots!

3 comments:

Amy Mann said...

Wow, invitations to paint from people's yards! Fantastic! That would never happen here. People are always rather testy on election day - and we don't have the nice, crowded, old building-roof tops to draw, either. Just a modern middle school.

Em said...

Yes - I always think that Helen makes her area sound extra nice, friendly and warm (well, not weather-wise...)

Helen O said...

Well, we do have a "maritime climate" which means lots of rain &c, but in general it is pretty wonderful; not much extreme heat & humidity (temps in the 90's F and humidity to match for about a week a year), but we can always escape to the shore. It is NEVER as hot as DC, and I have heat indoors in winter - and warm clothing for outdoors.

Post a Comment