Wednesday, January 19, 2011

18 January 2011

Plans for shelves in my closet

Here is another way I use drawing; to figure out how to build something.  Fixed dimension lines are drawn with ball pen; they show the measurements of the actual space available and cannot be changed.  The "hard" information I gather (dimensions of what I want to put on these shelves) before making the drawing is also in ink.  Then the planning is in pencil, so I can change it as needed.  The scale is 1/8" to 1 inch.  Now I know the dimensions for additional materials needed, and what the next steps are (1st make uprights and long cleats, 2nd, mark measurements for cleats on wall and on vertical supports).  That is enough for now:  I might get my carpenter to do the actual building, and this ensures I get what I want.

The rough sketches are just that; notes for construction,which will be done to the scale of the drawing - and the actual space.

3 comments:

Amy Mann said...

very good, Helen, I did the same thing with a closet in my basement room. Put shelves all the way across and all the way up. Now I keep old paintings and unused stretched canvases on those shelves. Your design looks very efficient!

Em said...

I like that it's freeing to find someone else using a practical application sketch... beyond a study for a painting (which is a practical application)... but something that is not just For the sketch a day As the sketch a day. Another friend of mine uses day one, day two, day three etc. on a single sketch as a sketch a day. So far, I've been tempted but resisted that because I want to Have a sketch a day - but I suppose I could scan or photo it each day and have the separate days to glue in my book. At any rate: No Rules, but possibilities...

Helen O said...

YES! Seek the possibilities in everything! ...I think that's what all art is about.

Post a Comment